Lip fillers are an incredibly effective way to improve the appearance of lips that may be lacking elasticity or shape by increasing their volume and plumpness. However, a common side effect following lip fillers is some swelling. Your lips will typically be swollen for 42-78 hours following the procedure and you may notice some redness or bruising close to the injection sites. In this guide, we’re going to be taking a look at how you can reduce the temporary swelling after getting lip fillers.
7 Ways to Keep Swelling at Bay
- To reduce any itching, swelling or bruising, apply ice to your lips after the procedure with an ice pack or covered ice cube (to prevent the ice directly sticking to the lips). This helps to decrease inflammation and reduce pain because the cold constricts blood vessels and decreases circulation to the area.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 to 48 hours after the procedure as elevated blood pressure and heart rate can actually worsen bruising and swelling. However, activities such as a light walk are fine and shouldn’t cause any issues.
- Make sure to keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. This will help your body to heal more quickly and will keep your lips from getting chapped and cracked. It’s also important for you to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables which will help to keep you hydrated. Avoid any food with excess sodium as this can cause swelling to worsen.
- Avoid high temperatures such as in steam rooms, saunas, direct sunlight or heated exercise classes for at least 48 hours following treatment as high levels of heat can cause swelling to be more pronounced.
- When sleeping, try your best to keep your head elevated with pillows to keep swelling at bay and avoid sleeping on your face.
- Alcohol should be avoided for both a few days prior to your appointment and 24 hours after the procedure as it acts as a blood thinner which can cause inflammation, increase bruising and worsen swelling.
- If you’re getting lip fillers in time for a holiday abroad, make sure you allow at least a week for them to recover as the air pressure in a plane can worsen swelling and bruising.
Why Choose Skin Consultants?
Here at Skin Consultants, we pride ourselves on our incredible attention to detail, offering the best possible care at an affordable price. Every one of our procedures are carried out by a Licensed Medical Profession, Dr Chris, who has a wealth of experience in the aesthetics industry which he uses to deliver incredibly high quality treatment and aftercare.
Both before, during and after your treatment, you will have access to a medical professional who will be more than happy to answer any queries or concerns. Book a consultation today!