Lip fillers are an incredibly effective way to improve the appearance of lips that may be lacking elasticity or shape by increasing their volume and plumpness. In this guide, we’re going to be taking a look at how lip fillers work, how much they cost and how long they last.
How Do Lip Fillers Work?
Lip fillers work by injecting a medically developed solution into the lips to improve their natural plumpness and shape. The solution is semi-permanent and based on hyaluronic acid which is naturally occuring sugar in the body.
At Skin Consultants, we use a wide range of high grade dermal fillers to achieve the best possible results that will look natural, no matter what your expression.
What’s the Procedure Like?
Prior to carrying out the lip fillers, a trained medical professional will usually do an assessment of your lips and how they move as you talk to work out what is best for your lip shape, size and the muscles around them.
Do Lip Fillers Hurt?
Many people worry about getting lip fillers because they think it will hurt. In fact, the process of getting lip fillers is far less painful that you might imagine. This is because the practitioner will usually apply a topical numbing cream roughly twenty minutes prior to the injection which will reduce the sensation in your lips. A very fine needle is also used to inject the filler which means you may feel a slight uncomfortable scratch as the needle enters but the pain shouldn’t be unbearable.
Are There Any Side Effects and Will I Need Downtime?
Hyaluronic Acid is a substance that naturally occurs in the body so it is generally tolerated very well. Initially, there may be some swelling, bruising and redness around the injection sites though these typically improve after 48 to 72 hours and require no downtime. Just avoid touching the area or applying makeup to the lips for 24 hours after treatment.
In some cases, there may be side effects such as infection and lack of symmetry, though they are very rare and usually occur when the treatment has been performed by an untrained or unqualified person.
How Long Do Results Last?
Lip fillers are non-permanent and usually last between 6 to 18 months. This is because most dermal fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, a substance which naturally occurs in the body and gets broken down over time.
However, if you are unhappy with the results or if you change your mind, you can have them dissolved by your practitioner. This involves injecting hyaluronidase, a soluble protein enzyme that breaks down the hyaluronic acid in the filler. The effect is immediate and lips should return to their normal state again after 48 hours.
How Much Do Lip Fillers Cost?
In the UK, lip injections usually cost between £200-1,000, however, the average clinic charges around £300 depending on the amount of filler you would like. The plumper you wish to have your lips, the more expensive the procedure.
Here at Skin Consultants, our lip filler procedures start from £200 but the exact cost of your treatment will be confirmed at your free consultation. Appointments are subject to a £20 deposit which is deducted from your treatment.
Lip Filler Aftercare Tips
Your lips will typically be swollen following the procedure and you may notice some redness or bruising close to the injection sites. This is completely normal and most side effects will be minor enough for you to resume almost all normal activities within a few minutes of the procedure being done.
- To help with any itching, swelling or bruising, apply ice to your lips after the procedure with an ice pack or covered ice cube (to prevent the ice directly sticking to the lips).
- Avoid any strenuous exercise for 24 to 48 hours after the procedure as elevated blood pressure and heart rate can worsen bruising and swelling. Activities such as a light walk are fine and shouldn’t cause any issues.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. This will help your body to heal more quickly and will keep your lips from getting chapped and cracked. Also make sure to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables which will help to keep you hydrated. Avoid any food with excess sodium as this can cause swelling to worsen.
- Avoid high temperatures such as in steam rooms, saunas, direct sunlight or heated exercise classes for 48 hours after treatment as high levels of heat can cause swelling to be more pronounced.
- If you’re getting lip fillers in time for an event, make sure to have the procedure well in advance to ensure they have enough time to recover and for the swelling to subside.
- When sleeping, try to keep your head elevated with pillows to keep swelling at bay and don’t sleep on your face.
- Avoid wearing makeup on your lips for up to 24 hours after the procedure to reduce the risk of infection.
- Avoid smoking and being around others who are smoking as this can increase the risk of infection.
- Alcohol acts as a blood thinner and should be avoided for both a few days prior to your appointment and 24 hours after the procedure as it can cause inflammation, increase bruising and worsen swelling.
- If you’re getting lip fillers in time for a holiday abroad, make sure you allow at least a week for them to recover as the air pressure in a plane can worsen swelling and bruising.
Why Choose Skin Consultants?
Here at Skin Consultants, we pride ourselves on our incredible attention to detail, offering the best possible care at an affordable price. Every one of our procedures are carried out by a Licensed Medical Profession, Dr Chris, who has a wealth of experience in the aesthetics industry which he uses to deliver incredibly high quality treatment and aftercare.
Both before, during and after your treatment, you will have access to a medical professional who will be more than happy to answer any queries or concerns.